Thursday 3 November 2011

Thing 19 - Integrating the things

I have been picking up speed with the posts, so it's probably about time for a breather, with this catch-up task. The task this week is to think of what I have encountered so far, and which 'things' have applications going forward. I have done so much that to be honest, I can hardly remember all of the tools and software I have looked at, so this was a good opportunity to look back over past posts and pick out some highlights.
I think that I will really need to put some effort into identifying and evaluating which will actually be of benefit, as when work time is limited, I don't want to be adopting new technologies just for the sake of it (though it's nice to have the opportunity to try things out).
Some 'things' I have taken on board already, and am trying to keep in mind on a day to day basis, e.g. personal branding, reflective practice etc. I've also confirmed the importance of keeping in touch/up to date with the library world at large. I already did this to a certain extent, through RSS feeds etc, but I probably should interact more too.
In practical terms, a few of the tools I've tried have stood out for me. Google Docs has already become a part of my daily routine, and has transformed my paper to do lists, making them much easier to handle in an integrated online form. Prezi also seems a valuable tool - I will need to work hard to get to grips with it, but I think it would be worth it in the long-run. Recent changes to Delicious will make me look again at Evernote and Pushnote and evaluate them to see if it would be worth making the move to a new bookmarking system, although the new owners of Delicious  do seem to gradually be working their way through the long list of faults they have created, so I'll keep an eye of their progress too!
There are probably lots more things I'll revisit in the future, too, but these are the stand-outs for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment