Friday 8 July 2011

Current awareness and more networking - thing 4

I am on slightly more familiar ground with at least some of the tools up for discussion in Thing 4 - Twitter, RSS feeds and Pushnote. Well, 2 out of 3 anyway.

I had tried Twitter once before and given up on it, but have reregistered with the start of this course, and have already started following some interesting folks. I can see it will be beneficial for current awareness and networking, and it's great to see there are so many other cataloguing and metadata bods out there. However, in just a couple of weeks, I have already found that time is an issue for me. I think that following even a small number of people, assuming they are active twitterers (tweeters?), can mean a lot of mental interruptions if you keep twitter on in the background. Or trying to catch up with ongoing conversations becomes impossible too. I definitely need to start joining in a few more conversations, too, if I'm going to get the most benefit from it.

 I moved to Google reader last year, having previously used and loved Bloglines for organizing my RSS feeds. I made the move when Bloglines looked like it was about to be axed, although it got rescued at the last minute. I felt a pang of treachery at leaving Bloglines for evil Google, but once I had jumped ship, decided to stay put and give it a go, and found that google was actually just about as good as Bloglines was.
I am slightly addicted to my blog reader. I love the fact that I don't have to go seeking out updates to my favourite sites/blogs, and that it satisfies my inbuilt need for organization in all things I do. I don't currently do anything as social as sharing with it. I do suffer from too many RSS feeds, particularly as I combine professional and personal interests within the same account, but haven't found it too much of a problem. I think that long-term I may stick with the rss reader for general awareness, and keep Twitter for breaking news type events.

Before moving on, here are a few of my favourite feeds...
CPD23 (of course!)
Karen Coyle's InFormation
Lorcan Dempsey's Weblog
Everything is miscellaneous
and if the Well-dressed librarian ever comes back from their extended break, I will be most happy

Plus for good measure a few non-work related:
EPBOT - geekery, girliness and goofing off
Curious places (for when I'm dreaming of escaping)
The girl who ate everything (for when I am dreaming of food and my next trip to New York...)


So, on to Pushnote. I had never heard of Pushnote before this, and tbh, I wasn't all that impressed with it. Perhaps because I had trouble finding anyone else who is using it. Or maybe because I already use and am pretty happy with delicious for bookmarking. I gather it had Stephen Fry pushing it to everyone at its launch, which is exciting, I guess. I don't know that being able to see comments from others for websites is a huge attraction for me. I like being able to check out what else someone who shares similar interests to me has bookmarked, but I can do that on delicious already. And friends/colleagues already tend to share links to the good stuff via facebook/twitter, so that angle is covered too. Perhaps I am missing the point somewhere. Also, I am now stuck with an irritating star browser addon on my Firefox browser at work, and don't know how to uninstall it - any help would be much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment